The Agencia de Calidad Sanitaria de Andalucía (Andalucia's Sanitary Quality Agency) has published its recommendations to improve biosafety in the surgical environment, which include actions directed to increasing air and ventilation quality, as well as intrasurgery action protocols.
ACSA offers the following recommendations in order to aid surgical and medical-surgical units to control the operating theatres’ environmental quality:
Infrastructure. Air and Ventilation
1. To know the optimal biosafety conditions of the operating theatre. In order to do that, there should be access to:
2. If deviations are detected, contact the relevant services (Preventive Medicine Service, Maintenance Service, etc.).
3. Record the events that occurred and establish a schedule for review and analysis. This system will allow the identification and knowledge of the causes of recurring events in order to be able to apply the relevant solutions.
Source of information:
Agencia de Calidad Sanitaria de Andalucía: Recommendation No. 35. Bioseguridad ambiental en quirófano [Internet]. Andalucia; May 2018 [query performed on September 23, 2018]. Available at
PiCuida.es: #Infografía: Recomendaciones para mejorar la bioseguridad ambiental en quirófano [Internet]. Andalucia; [query performed on September 23, 2018]. Available at
- To decrease the number of safety incidents related to the surgical process and which represent 40% of the adverse events notified by hospitals.
- To reduce the incidence of surgically-located infections, which represent 14% of nosocomial infections.
- To control the environmental quality of the surgical areas.
- To bolster the implementation of dynamic mechanisms for inquiries about the operating theatres’ state of maintenance.
- To boost the analysis of registered events.
- To record and control the operating theatres’ ventilation systems.
- To detect any possible environmental biosafety issues in advance.
- To drive the implementation of good practices in terms of environmental biosafety in areas and installations.
Published on*** 23 Sep 2018
We’re preparing the Good Management Practice file. You’ll be able to download it in a few seconds